Monday 29 May 2017

My experience working with children





I never thought I'd find myself working with kids. I love kids but they could be a whole lot of stress with their temper tantrums. Yet, this experience has been quite an eye-opening one and here are five reasons why. 


1. A Child's Mind is Amazing
If you have never had a conversation with a child, I suggest you find a cousin or niece/nephew and make that happen. Children have the most vivid and rich imaginations. It has been amazing being able to dive into the mind of these kids and get a glimpse of how they see the world, void of societal norms and responsibilities. It almost makes me want to be a child again, almost.

2.  Optimism 
The optimism that beams from a child's eyes is refreshing. Working with children reminded me, that there is a silver lining and that silver lining is present in a child’s smile, in their openness and disposition.

3. Mentoring Helps You Grow
The assumption I had about mentoring is that it benefits mainly the mentee; but, I realized that you learn so much about yourself trying to help someone else get their life together. If done correctly, I believe that mentor should learn just as much from the mentee as the mentee does from the mentor.

4. Finding the Joy in Learning is a Lost Art
I thought all kids hated learning as much as I did when I was younger. However, I’ve realized that it is not the learning that I disliked, it was the environment. Seeing these children come to school excited to learn shows me that providing a safe and encouraging place for kids to come is very important. Fun and learning don't have to be mortal enemies.

5. Children Inspire Me
It is impossible for me to leave work without learning something new. The diversity in the students and their learning styles makes coming to work an enjoyable experience.  These children inspire me to do more with my life, so that I can better help them. Children have such an open heart and mindset that allows them to accomplish any goals. They inspire me to chase after my dreams.  This has to be the best part of working with children.

No comments:

Post a Comment